Thursday, November 6, 2008

Juicy HWS


I think that the small size of HWS does amplify the effects of JuicyCampus.   I think the emotional impact on people is an ethical issue.  I think it comes down to who is posting what and why they think it is necessary for people to read that.  It is too hard to stop but some actions can be taken to control or dampen the harshness.  I think the anonymity of it is what best prepares students for the high interconnected media environment.  

I think the emails to stop it is only spreading its popularity.  People who did not know what it was are now checking out the website, and maybe posting.  By making a big deal about the website, we are actually promoting it. 

3 comments:

BG said...

You address a good point in the emotional effects that juicy campus has upon the students. Clearly the size of the campus must be taken into consideration. Rumors in general tend to spread like wild fire here. The anonymity provides students with a shield to hide behind. That way nobody has to take credit for their comments. Further proves the point of the lack of validity among the site and its low impact for the long term.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I agree that the size of HWS does effect the feelings and emotional impact it has on students. I feel like that anonymity aspect of the site is defiantly a mask for those people who are to afraid to come out and say what they want and to have people know who is saying it. If you have something to say, make it known you said it. This website would not exist if you had to leave your name, which shows the immaturity factor.

I feel the same way about the growth of juicycampus across HWS campus if the administration takes any action. It will die out.

Sam

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

Bigger universities definately would not have as big of a problem because people don't know everyone. We have such a small student body that everyone knows everyone else. I think people feel like it is more detramental because people are going to know who they are talking about on the site more often than not.

I don't think it really has any effect really because of this. Most people's opinions about people are already formed and these comments just reaffirm their opinions or they don't. I don't think anything that is said on juicycampus is going to be taken seriously enough that it really effects people.

Becky