Thursday, October 30, 2008

How to Advertise on Facebook

For teaching day today, I chose to teach "how to advertise on Facebook."  Follow these steps to create your own ad:

1.  Log onto Facebook.com and click on the "advertising" link at the bottom of the page.

2.. Once onto the advertising page click "Get Started"

3.  Now you begin creating your ad.  First type in the website that you are advertising for.  Once people click your ad it will direct them toward this site.

4.  Next design your ad.  You can include a title, short description/information, and a picture to include.  Check out a preview of what it will look like to the right.

5.  Then you target your ad. Select options from gender, age, relationship status, political views, religious views, and/or add other keywords to search the Facebook population.  Once you have selected your criteria it gives you an estimated number of users that will be targeted.

6.  The last step is the pricing of your ad.  Choose whether you want to pay per click or per view.  When you pay per click, you'll only pay Facebook when someone clicks on your ad.  When you select pay per view, you'll pay every time your ad is displayed to a user. Then, click on the appropriate tab. Set a budget. Put in the amount of money you're willing to pay every day.  You may pay less than this, but this is the most money you'll pay for one day of Facebook ads.

7.  Now you are finished making your ad.  It will be targeted towards a specific group of individuals who will be directed to your website. 

1 comment:

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

Jeff,

This is an interesting presentation and very informative. Although you did not present in front of the class and I was not in your group, I followed your steps pretty easily.

Typically, I never really think about the Ads on Facebook or how they get there. I just have become so use to seeing them that I barely acknowledge them anymore. However, you made me think about the Ads and how they get there, who does, etc. This is a great reason why I love doing the student teaching classes. In this case, I learned something about a website I use often. I learned about a feature of that websites that I tend to overlook everyday. Thanks!

Sam