The technologies you surround yourself with and use everyday definitely contribute to the person you are. These technologies do not solely make you who you are, but instead shape you. Everyday newer and more exciting technology is created making our lives easier, so we think. Whether it is Steve Jobs debuting his new iPhone or something as simple as a book, these creations will shape the person you are and the way you live your life.
The question is has technology shaped our lives for the better or worse? Do we rely too much on technology? What do we sacrifice by excepting this technology into our daily lives? I think that the answers to these question remain unique person to person. I choose to accept new technology and like to take full advantage of it efficiencies and conveniences. Writing a research paper today can be done at a desk with a computer, instead of weeks of searching in a library. The Internet has changed our lives in so many ways, and I would like to think for the better. Does this make us weaker than the college student 30 years ago who went through the whole process? It is a new world we live in and to ignore the resources we have available to us would just be ignorant. Therefore I disagree with idea that technology has weakened our minds and our people. In "Literacy: A Critical Sourcebook," by editors Cushman et al, one of the messages I got is that technology has made our minds weaker. I think our minds have developed differently, but not necessarily not as strong.
Will there be a point in time that technology has gone too far? Or has it already? Each generation has grown up with new technology, from the typewriter to the new iMacs in our library. People have adapted along the way and learned to use this technology for their benefits.

3 comments:
Hi
I think the second paragraph posts a good question. However I disagree with the first part. Quote: "these creations will shape the person you are and the way you live your life." I do believe that technology influences us in how we live our life. But how does that define who we are. How can the amount of time we spend on the internet for example define who we are?
By
Merel van Helden
Thank you for posting and I think you bring up an interesting question. I think that the time we spend on the Internet does not defines us, but instead what we are doing with that time. What are you using the Internet for? What are you searching for, looking at, or utilizing? That is what defines you, or tells who us something about who you are. I hope this helps clear up my original statement.
hello
Post a Comment