The discussion that really grabbed my attention today was about the amount of surveillance a society needs. It started with discussion of EZ Pass and moved into whether society is better off with complete surveillance or spot checks/trust. This is difficult to fully take the side of one or the other. I think that there are plenty of people who would take advantage of this trust; however society would be way to paranoid and annoying with complete/constant surveillance. For the example of traffic regulation, would you say that police officers with radar guns would be considered spot checks? They are not in the same spot all the time and/or the same time every day. I like the security of knowing that there is regulation on the road, because even now there are way to many accidents and deaths on the road. This is an interesting argument, and I think it is too early for me to stand by one side or the other. What does everyone else think, and why? Your opinions might help clear up that one is better than the other, since the few minutes spent on class today has not fully persuaded me to either side.
Connections, Conversations, Serendipity, and Shit
17 years ago

3 comments:
I am interested to read what people comment on your post about class pertaining to the surveillance argument. I made a comment on Mike Suit's blog about this same issue. I feel like there needs to be some sort of middle ground between complete surveillance and spot checks.
I am interested to hear more about this topic and what people have to say. I hope some students have some posts on this subject as I felt the discussion did not come to a complete closure today.
I agree with you that it is nice to share the workload. However, one must be able to guarantee that all members of the group did a similar amount of work all the time, I was the only one in my group who even had an outline of my chapter.
That is an unfortunate situation. I guess I was lucky to be randomly put into a good group. I guess I was optimistic in assuming that every group would have at least one member for each chapter who read and took notes on their material.
Post a Comment