Thursday, September 4, 2008

Reaction: 2nd Day of Class

In today's class the pieces of the puzzle have started coming together.  Some of the confusion was cleared up, but I still think map remains blurry.  However, I am learning that this may not be such a bad thing after all.  I am new to the world of Blogging, but I enter it with an open mind. 

In response to a misconception I believe to be roaming throughout the class, nobody is asking to be spoon fed by the professor.  Instead, on the first day of class we felt thrown into something totally unprepared, and were looking for some small type of guidance from a person of expertise.  I understand the screen had expectations and an assignment, but it was by no means the detailed syllabus we are used to getting.  After reading our instructions and expectations there were many questions to be answered and no one to answer them.  

Group Discussion
A couple ideas expressed in my group were to break up the class into groups, and within our groups comment, respond, and evaluate each other.  We agreed that our class discussions in the past two days seem to drag on with people just repeating each other.  We really have gotten no where by doing this, and this is why it is useful for an authoritative figure to move the class along.   


3 comments:

Suits said...

I agree with your idea that everyone seems to be repeating the same points in different ways. I also believe that guidance is needed in a discussion where no one is quite sure where the discussion needs to go and what should be accomplished.

Anonymous said...

Suits and JColburn,

I agree with both of your points. I feel that some guidance is needed from the professor. It is important to have an authoritative figure that can help guide a discussion. I am not saying we need to have our hands held, but the teacher should help give some direction.

JColburn,

I agree that the class discussion seemed to go in circles and people were repeating each other. I think that was because there was not much organization or guidance from an authoritative figure, which was partially what our discussion was about.

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

I think it is important to have a figure to lead in person. The Barron article talks about people committing fraud through internet. If no one ever showed up face to face how would a professor be able to know that one of the students enrolled in the class is not paying someone else to blog for them. I think meeting in person to a professor and being accountable for coming to class and sharing ideas in person is important.

P.S. this is becky not the whole group this didn't give me the option to change my identity.