After reading the NY Times article "The Trolls Among Us," by Mattathias Schwartz, has enlightened me on a new breed of people. These online pirates, known as trolls, are invading websites, blogs, and message boards all over the place. More importantly, their work is done to a degree that I was unaware of and disgusted by. I may sound naive, but the authors examples of Mitchell Henderson and Megan Meier, were truly disturbing. It makes you think twice about what you want available to the online public. I do not see the amusement or entertainment at this level of trolling, where is the "lulz" in making people suffer. I understand that there is a small effort to police these "/b/tards" but their anonymity has prevailed. How much further can these trolls push this? Will they ever be caught or truly policed?

2 comments:
I agree with you Jeff. That article was certainly eye opening. The policing efforts on blogs needs to be stepped up and enforced a lot more than it has. I do not want to see something bad happen to someone because of what they have written on their blog!
Like Jeff, I was completely unaware of people that were doing this online. It has definitely made me more consciousness of what I put online. It is disturbing to me to think that people would want to do this and to put it simply, hurt someone.
All of the articles we read for class on Thursday were very informative to me and sounds like some other students in the class. For those people who were not familiar with blogs, I was certainly baffled and amazed about what happens in the cyber world. Hopefully no one of will experience a troll!
Good post Jeff.
That was from Sam.
Post a Comment