Is splogging a way of making money or disrupting the real web blogs. Charles Mann writes about this current issue in his piece, "Spam + Blogs = Trouble." In this article Mann discusses the wave of popularity for creating splogs, spam weblogs. He describes the trouble and inconveniences they have caused, and the extreme difficulty in controlling them. I find this topic interesting because of its application to business. People are making a fortune creating blogs filled with gibberish and ads to click on. It sounds so easy. And harmless right? Not according to Mann, who tells us that not event the Internet King, Google, can keep up with this sploggers. I had no idea the mass amount of splogs that pollute the internet.
"Some 56 percent of active English-language blogs are spam, according to a study released in May by Tim Finin, a researcher at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, and two of his students. "The blogosphere is growing fast," Finin says. "But the splogosphere is now growing faster."
This issue has been identified as a serious issue for blog hosts such as Google's Blogger, which I am currently typing on. It will be interesting to see where everything goes in the future. Will there be a way to police and eliminate splogs? Will sploggers win ad lead to the destruction of blogs, or may they just coexist and learn to deal with each others' being?

1 comment:
That is so creepy taht they follow our ads. I never click on ads when I see them. Am I not being followed or am I being followed some other way.
That aside, I don't think sploggers can destroy bloggers. It would require them eliminating or chasing away every single blogger. They will invade each other (mostly sploggers attacking bloggers) and often ignore each other. But I do not forsee the blog being killed by anyone but the bloggers themselves. When they stop, it stops
Post a Comment